Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Battle of the Launchers

Anyone who plays Minecraft would be familiar with the launcher that appears before the game starts. It is the basic launcher that shows the newest Minecraft update and not much else. While this launcher is good, better ones can be found that do lots more things. 

The second picture, for example, is a cracked Minecraft launcher. Using one of these is not strictly-speaking legal as it means people who have not bought the game can play it. I'll admit that when I first saw Minecraft I used a cracked launcher to play it until I could afford to buy it. (don't tell anyone) Now I use the same one for playing on Minecraft servers at school as the basic launcher does not work properly at school. 
 
 The third launcher of six that I will be reviewing for you is SK's Launcher. (Right) This launcher gives you the same functionality that a HD Texture Pack Patcher has, just better integrated. It lets you put mods onto Minecraft much easier than modifying the Minecraft.jar. I used to use this launcher until Magic Launcher was released. (Next Launcher) It has multiple configurations so you can have modded versions of all of your Minecraft.jar files from different versions of Minecraft. It is good but if you are going to use it then look at Magic Launcher which builds on it and has a lot more features.

Magic Launcher is by far the best launcher I have seen. It looks
a lot like the regular Minecraft but there are a few differences. There are tabs up the top which contain links to Notch's, Jeb's and Dinnerbone's Twitter, Minecraft Wiki, Minecraft on Reddit and some others. This means you can have all your Minecraft related info right there on the launcher. It also features a modder and multiple configurations like SK's launcher. I won't explain everything here but I will post a link to Antvenom's video on it as he explains it perfectly. You can download mods, and organise them in the launcher without having to go into .minecraft and mess with the jar file. It is a very clean way of modding and very simple to use. I strongly recommend this to anyone who likes using mods with multiple versions of Minecraft.

The second last launcher I will show you is the Spoutcraft launcher.
It is designed for people that use servers with Spout plugins on them. They are certain plugins that only work with people using the Spoutcraft launcher but can be very powerful. Spoutcraft also features an Optifine like options menu. I highly recommend it but if you are not going to use Spout enabled servers I would stick with MagicLauncher. 

The last launcher I will talk about is the Curse launcher. I do not have a picture of it, nor do I have much experience with it as I saw it yesterday. It is a launcher that work with other games like Skyrim addons, not only Minecraft mods. I haven't tried it but if you are the person with lots of games and only want one launcher then this is the launcher for you.

There are some other launchers I have not talked about like the EvilMInecraft and TechnicLaunchers but these are specific to a certain mod pack for Minecraft. Even though I have not talked about them feel free to try them as they may be the Minecraft version for you.
If you have bothered to read all of this, well done. I hope you stick around on this site and on our channel, we will be uploading more things pretty soon.
Farewell,
              Fieryaleeco from OcelotsandWolves

Magic Launcher Download -- Antvenom's Video on MagicLauncher
-----------
Regular Minecraft Launcher
-----------
Spout Launcher
-----------
I will not post a link to a Cracked Minecraft Launcher as it is illegal. If you want one you will have to find it yourself.
-------------
SK's Launcher
-----------
I can't find a link to the Curse Launcher but having a look around MinecraftForum might yield results.

1 comment:

  1. Good article, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting.
    Minecraft Servers

    ReplyDelete